[mythtv-users] Advice on using Nvidia Cards for Highest Quality Video

OM Ugarcina mo.ucina at gmail.com
Tue May 27 02:18:45 UTC 2014

Hello Guys,

A recent upgrade to the latest nvidia long term driver rev 331.79 prompted
a revisit to my xorg.conf as I noticed that certain features have
disappeared . So I have ended up with a xorg.conf that has a bit of clutter
which is no longer supported such as "flatpanelproperties" scaling . This
opened a re-think of what other carry overs I have which do not fit into
new driver or even myth 0.27 . Over the years I have been sticking things
in that seemed a good idea at the time . I have a late model nvidia card
and use VDPAU on Centos6 and use a Sony Bravia KDL46X3100 TV as a monitor
via HDMI . So I would like ask a bit of advice from the more knowledgeable
members on a few aspects :

1) Colour space conversion : I am using  vdpaucolorspace=auto  as part of
my playback profile additional settings . Is this a good idea , should I
use xorg.conf settigs of Option "ColorSpace" and Option "ColorRange" instead
or as well as  . Since I used scaling=native , which no longer exists , I
will remove it . Another feature available is dithering , should it be
enabled , if colour space conversion is used ?

2) Modelines . I use JYA modelines instead of EDID to make sure that timing
is 100% spot on . I have the first line duplicated to overcome a bug in the
Nvidia driver , which used to loose this line . Is that still the case with
the latest driver, is it still needed ?
    Anandtech mentions that Nvidia clocks 24p as 23.971 Hz instead of
23.976 Hz , some people have suggested a change to the modeline to force
the clock up to 23.976 . Do you guys know what needs to be changed ? Would
there be a need to use Option "ModeValidation"

Any input welcomed .

Best Regards
Milorad