[mythtv-users] Problem controlling external tuners in new upgrade using mythtv V0.25.3

Mark Perkins perkins1724 at hotmail.com
Mon May 26 00:11:43 UTC 2014

> On 26 May 2014, at 7:55 am, "Craig Huff" <huffcslists at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Sun, May 25, 2014 at 11:36 AM, Craig Huff <huffcslists at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Fri, May 23, 2014 at 5:17 PM, Greg Oliver <oliver.greg at gmail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> After the initial run as "user", the DEBUG file already existed.  The mythtv
> >> user probably cannot write to it.  Delete /tmp/DEBUG and try it again.  Or
> >> /tmp is not writeble by mythtv maybe?
> >>

> > Good possibility!  Will investigate.  Thanks!
> >
> > --
> > Craig.
>

> OK.  Greg was right.  Now the logs are owned by mythtv:mythtv and logging works fine.  Sadly, I've peeled only one layer of the onion.
>
> While watching Live TV, I can change channels successfully for any tuner using manual invocation of the appropriate tuning script in an open xterm.  If I have made an external channel change, when I restart the Live TV mode, mythfrontend succeeds in changing the channel back to what it thought the last channel assignment was. However, things are different if I change the channel within mythfrontend by typing a channel number using numeric keys on the keyboard.  When I do, the appropriate channel change script gets called and does it's thing, but most of the time (I just hate inconsistent results!), a message in the OSD display pane reports "Signal %0 | (_L) Lock" and eventually the frontend gives up, throws up a pop-up reporting "Video frame buffering failed too many times" and exits the Live TV mode.  Here are links to pastebins of mythbackend.log, mythfrontend.log, mythmetadatalookup.log , and mythpreviewgen.log, if someone thinks they can figure out something by reading their contents.
>
> For reference, here are rough event times relevant to the logs:
> 16:55:45 Started mythbackend
> 16:56:05 Attempted tuning to channel 160, briefly got the "Signal %0 | (_L) Lock" message --
>               maybe 5-10 seconds and got tuned (apparently) but with black screen (no video
>               displayed, but audio output working)
> 16:56:20 Attempted tuning to channel 475, got the "Signal %0 | (_L) Lock" message and no
>               updates for over 20 seconds
> 16:57:14 Quit with the "Video frame buffering failed too many times" message.
>
> I then exited from all the myth*** and pastebin'd the logfiles linked above.  I appreciate any help in getting to the bottom of this wierdness.
>
> --
> Craig.

I've not read the log files yet and don't have a specific insight - but have you tried a 'delete all capture cards / video sources / channels on all hosts' recently and reconfigured capture cards / video sources / channels from clean? I've heard that errors in here (which may not be visible / apparent in the config screens) can cause weirdness.