[mythtv-users] Problem controlling external tuners in new upgrade using mythtv V0.25.3

Craig Huff huffcslists at gmail.com
Sun May 25 22:25:05 UTC 2014

On Sun, May 25, 2014 at 11:36 AM, Craig Huff <huffcslists at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, May 23, 2014 at 5:17 PM, Greg Oliver <oliver.greg at gmail.com>
wrote:

>> After the initial run as "user", the DEBUG file already existed.  The
mythtv
>> user probably cannot write to it.  Delete /tmp/DEBUG and try it again.
 Or
>> /tmp is not writeble by mythtv maybe?
>>

> Good possibility!  Will investigate.  Thanks!
>
> --
> Craig.

OK.  Greg was right.  Now the logs are owned by mythtv:mythtv and logging
works fine.  Sadly, I've peeled only one layer of the onion.

While watching Live TV, I can change channels successfully for any tuner
using manual invocation of the appropriate tuning script in an open xterm.
 If I have made an external channel change, when I restart the Live TV
mode, mythfrontend succeeds in changing the channel back to what it thought
the last channel assignment was. However, things are different if I change
the channel within mythfrontend by typing a channel number using numeric
keys on the keyboard.  When I do, the appropriate channel change script
gets called and does it's thing, but most of the time (I just hate
inconsistent results!), a message in the OSD display pane reports "Signal
%0 | (_L) Lock" and eventually the frontend gives up, throws up a pop-up
reporting "Video frame buffering failed too many times" and exits the Live
TV mode.  Here are links to pastebins of mythbackend.log
<http://paste.ubuntu.com/7517206/>, mythfrontend.log
<http://paste.ubuntu.com/7517203/>, mythmetadatalookup.log
<http://paste.ubuntu.com/7517205/> , and mythpreviewgen.log
<http://paste.ubuntu.com/7517204/>, if someone thinks they can figure out
something by reading their contents.

For reference, here are rough event times relevant to the logs:
16:55:45 Started mythbackend
16:56:05 Attempted tuning to channel 160, briefly got the "Signal %0 | (_L)
Lock" message --
              maybe 5-10 seconds and got tuned (apparently) but with black
screen (no video
              displayed, but audio output working)
16:56:20 Attempted tuning to channel 475, got the "Signal %0 | (_L) Lock"
message and no
              updates for over 20 seconds
16:57:14 Quit with the "Video frame buffering failed too many times"
message.

I then exited from all the myth*** and pastebin'd the logfiles linked
above.  I appreciate any help in getting to the bottom of this wierdness.

--
Craig.