[mythtv-users] Feature Request: Differentiate TV Shows From Movies

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Wed May 21 16:05:12 UTC 2014

On Wed, May 21, 2014 at 11:20:18AM -0400, Raymond Wagner wrote:
> On 5/21/2014 11:01 AM, Fred Hamilton wrote:
> >A semi-related question: I ripped all my Star Trek TOS blu ray
> >episodes and put them in videos and the metadata for each was
> >correctly found - everything worked perfectly.
> >
> >But for some reason that I will never understand, the episodes are
> >sorted by original air date, which makes no sense to me for lots
> >of reasons ("Where No Man Has Gone Before" is obviously the first
> >episode, the show's people/history are developed/evolved in the
> >right order, etc.) - the sort order I prefer is production order.
> >(Firefly is an even more extreme example of the air date order
> >being terribly wrong but they changed it to production order for
> >the DVDs and other releases.)
> >
> >So my question is: Does anyone have a suggestion as to how I could
> >manually customize the sort order but keep the metadata correct?
> >I originally had the SxxExx file names with the Exx numbers in
> >production order, so they were sorted correctly but the metadata
> >for most of them were wrong (except for the episodes where prod
> >and air order happened to be the same).  I'm willing to put some
> >time into this, but would like to be as efficient as possible.

    Customize the grabber or make one of your own.

    It sounds like the grabber is only keyed off of the episode
numbers rather than the titles of the episodes. There's no good
reason you can't match by title and essentially allow the episode
number to be whatever you want.

    If you think your data is broken, the easiest approach by far
is simply to repair that data. That's the beauty of all of the app
data being in an SQL database.