[mythtv-users] Feature Request: Differentiate TV Shows From Movies

Mark Perkins perkins1724 at hotmail.com
Tue May 20 21:29:12 UTC 2014

> On 21 May 2014, at 6:35 am, merc1984 at f-m.fm wrote:
>

> I've never successfully gotten metadata for TV shows I have in Videos.
> I suspect the reason is that Myth classifies anything in Videos as
> 'movies' and thus looks to themoviedb.org instead of thetvdb.com
>
> For example there's a grand old series called "Danger Man".  I would
> love to have metadata for each episode, but never have.  thetvdb knows
> about it: http://thetvdb.com/?tab=series&id=76164&lid=7
> ... and in fact knows each episode's details:
> http://thetvdb.com/?tab=episode&seriesid=76164&seasonid=9786&id=184791&lid=7
> ... but when I set the ID# in inetref Myth always guesses a completely
> wrong show of some sort or another.  I've tried setting title and
> subtitle, etc, but Myth always guesses a completely wrong production.

Try setting the season and episode number in the video metadata. Non zero values for season / episode seem to be the best way to get the correct grabber to be used.

> Isn't there some way to classify or indicate to Myth to go to thetvdb
> instead of themoviedb for videos?  Hasn't this ever come up before?
>
> I have these episodes in directories for season 1, 2, 3, etc, so it
> would be nice if Myth could mark the folder with season metadata, and
> then each episode with its metadata.  Doesn't anyone else do this?
>

> --
> http://www.fastmail.fm - Accessible with your email software
>                          or over the web

I suspect it all comes down to the naming convention and file / folder structure you are using. Perhaps give a full example of the folder names / file names you are using and people can comment.

The accepted conventions are found here: http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/MythVideo_File_Parsing

I use a Plex compatible structure which is quite defined and seems to give me pretty good results in Mythvideo.

https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/categories/200028098

Essentially for a TV show I have:

/Path/to/TV/"Show Title"/"Season ##"/"Title - S##E## - Subtitle.mp4"

Where /Path/to/TV/ is a folder defined in my Mythvideo storage group.