[mythtv-users] [mythtv] If you have DirecTV and are affected by "-1", "-2" etc channels please let me know.

John P Poet jppoet at gmail.com
Tue May 20 16:10:54 UTC 2014

On Tue, May 20, 2014 at 9:03 AM, Robert Kulagowski <rkulagow at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Mon, May 19, 2014 at 7:04 PM, John P Poet <jppoet at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Directv own guide often just says "To Be Announced" on most of them.  I
> do
> > see: "Upcoming: Nationals @ Pirates" on 621-1 FSPHD, though.
> >
> > If you go to:
> > http://www.directv.com/guide
> > and look at something like channel 646, you will see 6 of them, but on
> that
> > page, they just all have the same channel number.  On my directv STB,
> they
> > actually show up as:
> > 646 FSSOHD "FS South HD"
> > 646-1 FSCR...  "FS Carolinas HD (Alternate)
> > 646-2 FSTN...  "FS Tennessee HD (Alternate)
> > 646-3 FSTN...  "FS Tennessee Alternate HD
> > 646-4 FSSO... "FS South Plus HD (Alternate)
> > 646-5 FSSO... "FS South Plus 2 HD (Alternate)
>
> OK, so for 621 though, it looks like the raw data doesn't have a
> duplicate "621" for FSPHD in your headend.
>
> So that would be the first thing to try to fix.
>
> Some users have told me that if you've configured your STB for "HD
> only" then you don't need to send the "-1" to change to the HD version
> of the channel. Is that how that works?

On Directv, both the HD and SD versions of a channel (if both versions
exist) will be on the same channel number, and show up subsequently in the
guide.  Neither channel has a '-1'  both have exactly the same channel
number.  If you type in '4' it will take you to the HD version of the
channel, and you then hit CHAN-UP to go to the SD version.

There are settings on the STB to hide the HD channels, or hide the SD
'duplicate' channels.  In other words, if you hide the HD channels, all the
HD channels get hidden.  If you hide the SD duplicates, only those SD
channels which have a corresponding HD channel are hidden.  Personally I
use the hide SD duplicates option.

John