[mythtv-users] Migrating recordings from SBE to MBE

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Sun May 18 23:11:37 UTC 2014

On Sun, 18 May 2014 17:38:09 -0400, you wrote:

>Hi list -
>My SBE died but after I no longer needed it for capturing recordings.
>There are still recordings on its recordings disk that I still want.
>
>If I copy these to the recordings disk on my MBE will they be found and played?
>Thanks!

That is my understanding of how it works, but as I have never used an
SBE I can not confirm it.  You might need to change the values of the
recorded.hostname field from the SBE hostname to the MBE hostname, but
I suspect even that is unnecessary.  I would suggest just trying it by
copying one recording file from the SBE to the MBE and seeing if it
becomes playable.  I think it would also be possible to physically
move a whole drive from the SBE to the MBE, point a new storage group
at it, and have all those recordings available.

One other option is to run mythmediaserver on the old SBE instead of
mythbackend.  Mythmediaserver is a cut down version of mythbackend
that runs without any tuners and makes media available to be played.
Again, I have never done this, so I do not know the details of making
it work.