[mythtv-users] fire tv as mythtv frontend

Tom Harris thom.j.harris at gmail.com
Thu May 15 15:34:46 UTC 2014

On Wed, May 14, 2014 at 9:16 AM, Matt Emmott <memmott at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 29, 2014 at 7:35 PM, Bryan Dagerman <bdagerman at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> I'm interested to find out how your testing goes. I am considering
>> getting one to do the same thing.
>>

>> On Tue, Apr 29, 2014 at 2:49 PM, jacek burghardt <
>> jaceksburghardt at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Well for 200 I hope to get fire tv that will be here in few days and I
>>> can run some testing

> It looks like the FireTV's have 2GB of RAM, which should be enough to run
> a proper front end, no? I realize that it's an ARM processor which would
> require a bit more development, but are the specs good enough for a real
> $99 FE? Even if it's limited to H.264 only, I'm fine with getting one of
> the new HDHRs that outputs H.264 natively or running some ffmpeg magic to
> transcode all my recordings in realtime.

I would like to buy the long rumored HDHR Prime that does H.264 conversion.
 But, it's not clear when that will actually ship.

I'm not crazy about software transcoding content, with all the compute
overhead and delay.  My backend is not terribly fast (Core2Duo) especially
when considering my HDHR often records multiple programs simultaneously.
 Worst case is 3x HD sports programs.

Is the FireTV hardware incapable of MPEG2?  Or, is it a licensing
restriction which could be enabled with an extra cost?