[mythtv-users] Announcement: merge of devel/027candidates

Brian J. Murrell brian at interlinx.bc.ca
Thu May 15 13:54:43 UTC 2014

On Thu, 2014-05-15 at 07:37 -0600, jacek burghardt wrote:
> Well mythtv must write data to hard drive first so there is something to
> rev pause record.

Of course.

> How would you rev something that was streamed directly
> without a buffer.

You must have missed the part where I said that the stream being read
from the tuner is streamed to the FE *and* written to a recording file
at the same time:

> > so that you are writing it both to the FE and the recording at
> > the same time

Clearly then when one wants to seek back in the stream, the FE switches
from playing the live stream (which can actually be stopped at this
point since all future activity comes from the recording file) to
playing from file that is being simultaneously written.

An additional performance enhancement would be to have the BE know where
the FE is playing from and as the FE gets closer to real-time (through
skip forward for example), reduce the write buffer on the
recording-to-file stream so that the FE gets more "real-time" data.

And now that I'm thinking even more about it, I suppose if the user
skips forward enough to be at the "real-time" point in the recording, he
can be switched back to the real-time stream.

Cheers,
b.