[mythtv-users] Modern ION replacement?

Preston Crow pc-mythtv13 at crowcastle.net
Wed May 14 17:04:55 UTC 2014

On 05/14/2014 12:15 PM, Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:
> On 15 May 2014 02:09, John Morris <jmorris at beau.org> wrote:
>
>> designed so you want it to go out exactly as transmitted.  It will look
>> perfect.  Assuming the set can also do 720p60 you would want Myth to
>> switch modes and to also display that mode unretouched.
> unfortunately, the automatic refresh rate selection will always favour
> playing at 60p rather than 60i as there's also no way to detect of a
> modeline is interlaced or not with plain xrandr.
> so if your set can do 60p and you attempt to play 60i, the refresh
> rate will be set to 60p.
> you would have to disable 60p completely from the list of modelines
> and only have 60i for that refresh rate to be selected.
>
> Having said that, it's not quite true what you said that you don't
> want mythtv to do anything. If you just output the signal as-is, you
> have 50% chance of your TV getting it wrong.
> Hence why Paul suggested the "Interlaced 2X" deinterlacer, it's
> specifically designed for this case, and ensure that it doesn't matter
> if you sync on odd or even field.
The TV is able to sync correctly to a real broadcast, so it should be
able to sync correctly to a signal from a computer.  The trick is
getting the video playback synchronized correctly with the output of the
video card.  I haven't looked into this in ages, but I think I got it
working correctly with the nVidia drivers.  I'm not sure all the drivers
provide all the needed information to allow for reliable synchronization.