[mythtv-users] Modern ION replacement?

John Morris jmorris at beau.org
Wed May 14 16:09:53 UTC 2014

On Tue, 2014-05-13 at 10:25 +0100, Paul Gardiner wrote:
> On 12/05/2014 19:07, Preston Crow wrote:
> > What I haven't heard about is the ability to play back interlaced
> > output.  I have an old CRT HDTV that needs a real 1080i input.  Can
> > Intel graphics generate a 1080i signal that is properly synced to the video?
>
> That's what the Interlaced x2 deinterlacer is for. Provided the card can
> produce 1080i mode which I believe most can, the Interlaced x2
> deinterlacer ensures that it doesn't matter whether you sync on odd or
> even fields. It's only supported in software but it doesn't require much
> CPU because it's not a true deinterlacer. The only disadvantage is that
> AFAIK, you can use software deinterlacers in MythTV only with software
> decoding.

If you are connecting to a CRT you don't want Myth to do anything.  That
is exactly the environment where interlaced video was originally
designed so you want it to go out exactly as transmitted.  It will look
perfect.  Assuming the set can also do 720p60 you would want Myth to
switch modes and to also display that mode unretouched.

In fact, it is probably worthwhile for most MythTV users to at least try
a straight pipe and compare the dedicated deinterlacing hardware built
into the TV to the software based ones in Myth.  The real reason most
people do it on the Myth side is to avoid changing video modes and the
shifts in the size of UI elements, sync issues, etc. that involves.
Being a PC based platform it is just easier to lock the video card to
1080p60 and leave it there but it requires doing all rescaling and
deinterlacing on the PC side and treating the TV as a dumb PC monitor.
But the better HDTV sets have very capable DSP hardware in them so it
pays to compare.