[mythtv-users] Limit concurrent instances of mythpreviewgen?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue May 13 19:16:45 UTC 2014

On 05/13/2014 01:57 PM, Mike Perkins wrote:
> All of the above still sound like kludges. Creating previews when the
> browser is just about to display a whole list of them is probably not
> the best of designs.
>
> When your list of previously recorded is in the hundreds this can take
> a whole lot of time - and it doesn't help that 'Previously Recorded'
> /always/ defaults to the 'all recordings' selection.
>
> The appropriate time to generate these is when the recording is completed.

We do create a preview at the time the recording is completed (or
changed--i.e. via commercial detection or transcoding or ...).

We used to use these previews for MythWeb.

Users complained that the previews in MythWeb were ugly because they
weren't big enough for web pages on high-resolution monitors (they were
created to be the right size for mythfrontend).  So, MythWeb was changed
to request previews of different sizes for different content (based on
resolution and aspect ratio) and different MythWeb pages.  This creates
better pages, but requires a bunch of different previews of sizes that
only MythWeb knows.

So, we've pleased some of the people.

The best bet for the OP is to set up his MythWeb to page the recordings
so that his incapable backend can squeak by.  Change the "Page recorded
programs" from "Off" to 25.

Mike