[mythtv-users] explain defaultinput field in capturecard table in mythconverg

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue May 13 12:32:10 UTC 2014

On 05/12/2014 01:38 PM, Karl Newman wrote:
> On Mon, May 12, 2014 at 8:17 AM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>> On 05/12/2014 01:24 AM, Eyal Lebedinsky wrote:
>>> My first query is: what is the exact semantics of this field? I notice
>>> that in the past
>>> it defaulted to DVBInput but it now defaults to Television, so I have a
>>> mix of both.
>>>
>> When you configure a capture device with a single input, MythTV will
>> always set the default input properly.  However, since kernel drivers have
>> changed over time--in some (many) case(s) changing the input
>> identifiers--this tends to happen when you add cards at different times
>> (though it can happen when adding all cards at the same time if you
>> misconfigure the cards--even if you think you undid the misconfiguration
>> and reconfigured correctly).
>>
>> The best way to fix the problem is to use the "Delete all capture cards"
>> (not "Delete all capture cards on<hostname>") portion of
>> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/264034#264034 .  Doing
>> so will have no impact on your Channels or Video Sources (just don't do the
>> "Delete all video sources" portion), and takes only seconds.  (I can delete
>> all my capture cards and reconfigure the six of them--spread across 2
>> backend systems--in about 30 seconds.)
>>
> While it's true that this is a relatively painless procedure, it can be
> less trivial if you use a channel change script and you have to remember
> all the arguments to them for your different inputs. So, my recommendation
> before you do this make a database backup (using mythconverg_backup.pl) and
> take notes on your current capture card and input configuration.

Definitely good advice--which I should really remember to always give.

Any time you make a major change to configuration you should do a
database backup.  Even if you make minor changes to configuration, it
doesn't hurt to do a database backup.

And, really, you should do database backups at least occasionally to
protect yourself from drive/file system/file failure.

Mike