[mythtv-users] New OS X Installer

Karl Dietz dekarl at spaetfruehstuecken.org
Tue May 13 07:40:28 UTC 2014

On 13.05.2014 03:58, Sam Jacobs wrote:

> Very cool. For those whom an HDHomeRun is a reasonable choice*, this
> should make getting up and running with MythTV considerably easier.

> * this excludes, for example, anyone in the UK (and other DVB-T2/S2
> countries) who wishes to record in HD. I've given up waiting for
> SiliconDust to release anything I want—their T2/S2 tuners have been
> coming *real soon now* for ages.

Now that equipment supporting the SAT>IP protocol, also for DVB-C and
DVB-T, is starting to make it to the shelves this isn't so bad anymore.
Just get six DVB-T(2) tuners and start to stream all DVB-T channels at
the same time to your neighborhood :)

> P.S. This might be a thorny issue, but shouldn't we be *a lot* more
> upfront about the fact that OS X doesn't support USB tuners? As much
> as it'd be great for more people to use MythTV, given that the amount
> of work involved in getting set up is still more than, say, installing
> Elgato's EyeTV, I don't like that there's not something in big, bold
> text saying that you're not gonna be able to use your EyeTV stick with
> MythTV. Sam

IIRC MacOSX (just like MS Windows [1]) also has an API for capture of
digital tv streams[2]. But it is not the same as the Linux DVB API and
we don't support it, yet.

Regards,
Karl

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broadcast_Driver_Architecture
[2] right now I could only find the generic Firewire API that could be
useful to extend out Firewire recorder.