[mythtv-users] New OS X Installer

Sam Jacobs samlists at ijacobs.co.uk
Tue May 13 03:46:29 UTC 2014

On Tue, May 13, 2014 at 4:08 AM, Jean-Yves Avenard <jyavenard at gmail.com> wrote:
> Well, send me an elgato USB tuner, and I'll look into it.

Mac OS X doesn't have anything like linux-dvb, to the best of my
knowledge, and I doubt Elgato would be happy about you using their
drivers. And even if you did find some way of reusing significant
amounts of linux-dvb code, bear in mind that my tuner won't even work
on Linux if the system is up for too long, and it's hardly a *new*
model of tuner.

If you understand what you might have to do, what you're letting
yourself in for, and if you think you can do it, then I can look into
getting one to you— the Hauppauge Nova-T USB Stick is about £30 on
eBay. I might even try replacing my EyeTV with the Equinux TubeStick
I've got lying around.

The problem is that some people have heterogenous tuner setups—I
personally have never had two of the same tuner. Not so much because
any of them are bad, but just because requirements change—my next
tuner will probably be DVB-T2 because I want a second HD tuner and
don't like to rely too much on one signal source, not because the
EyeTV or DVBSky tuners aren't working well.

This might sound silly, but if it were possible to create and maintain
something like linux-dvb for OS X, if the demand was there, if the
talent was there, if manufacturers were interested in supporting it,
then it would've been done by now.

Sam

--
Sam Jacobs on MythTV 0.27, UK Freeview SD & Freesat HD, EIT-only EPG
Mac mini, MBE+FE: OS X Mavericks, bundled FE, macports BE