[mythtv-users] running mythlink.pl produces "Unable to connect to mythbackend, is it running?" error

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon May 12 11:48:26 UTC 2014

On 05/12/2014 07:08 AM, Rob Orange wrote:
> I am trying to get the mythlink.pl script to work with MythTV 0.27 (on
> Mythbuntu 14.04), however am not having any success. Currently the
> script fails when trying to connect to the backend - however I know
> the backend to be running. I get the following mythbackend log when I
> try to run the mythlink.pl script:
>
> May 12 22:45:14 tvbox mythbackend: mythbackend[30525]: I
> ProcessRequest mainserver.cpp:1420 (HandleAnnounce) MainServer::ANN
> Monitor
> May 12 22:45:14 tvbox mythbackend: mythbackend[30525]: I
> ProcessRequest mainserver.cpp:1422 (HandleAnnounce) adding: tvbox as a
> client (events: 0)
> May 12 22:45:14 tvbox mythbackend: mythbackend[30525]: I
> ProcessRequest mainserver.cpp:1420 (HandleAnnounce) MainServer::ANN
> Monitor
> May 12 22:45:14 tvbox mythbackend: mythbackend[30525]: I
> ProcessRequest mainserver.cpp:1422 (HandleAnnounce) adding: tvbox as a
> client (events: 1)
> May 12 22:45:33 tvbox mythbackend: mythbackend[30525]: E
> ProcessRequest mainserver.cpp:1408 (HandleAnnounce) Received malformed
> ANN Monitor query
>
> So it seems that my hostname and port are ok, as mythlink and
> mythbackend begin to talk - but something is lost in translation. Any
> ideas how I can get the two to play nicely? Are perl scripts still the
> best way to work with the myth TV database - or should I investigate
> other options?

Looks like mismatched versions of MythTV and mythlink.pl.

The Python bindings are the best way to create new scripts for MythTV,
but no one has rewritten mythlink.pl functionality using the Python
bindings (and doing so probably doesn't offer much of any benefit over
the still-functional mythlink.pl), so it's still the best way to get
user-friendly file-system views of your recordings.

Mike