[mythtv-users] OT: XBMC frontend use?

Michael Watson michael at thewatsonfamily.id.au
Sun May 11 15:19:25 UTC 2014

On 11/05/2014 12:12 AM, John Pilkington wrote:
> On 10/05/14 13:27, Alistair Grant wrote:
>> On Tue, May 6, 2014 at 8:20 AM, Jean-Yves Avenard
>> <jyavenard at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> The question we should ask now, is do we drop support for mythfrontend
>>> completely and work on a much better integration of XBMC with the myth
>>> backend (add support for mythbackend auto detection, support storage
>>> group
>>> etc). Or do we continue to focus our effort on making the myth frontend
>>> better
>>
>> I've never used XBMC so can't comment directly, however...  I'd hate
>> to lose the ability to edit recordings and then run user jobs on them.
>>
>> A MythTV fan,
>> Alistair
>
> +1
>
> I have never seen my Mythbox as an 'appliance' and my use of it is
> clearly much more interactive than the norm.  Usually Myth runs in one
> of several windows on a desktop, with control by keyboard and mouse.
>
> In part I'm using it to try to provide my grandkids (and their parents
> :-), and me) with DVDs of cherrypicked programmes that we will enjoy,
> but I have to admit that they will often opt to watch something that
> is currently available via the antenna - or online - and that I
> perhaps wish the kids did it less.  I would quite like them to have a
> local Mythbox that didn't require a resident geek to drive it, but I
> don't really want to invest yet more time and effort in setting up and
> running one in their house - even if they wanted one!.
>
> I'm not much interested in eye candy, and I record quite a lot of radio.
>
> John P

My kids know no other type of TV than MythTV.  Even the 4 year old, can
scroll through the recorded TV and Video Sections to find a program she
wants to watch, (this is where eye candy / metadata works brilliantly as
she can not yet read).   When they go to grand ma's they are annoyed
(and somewhat bewildered) that they cannot watch what they want, when
they want.