[mythtv-users] modernizing mythtv

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Sun May 11 09:47:57 UTC 2014

On 11/05/14 01:46, jedi wrote:

>>> You're sure you don't have a 'hidden' X-server running on your
>>> backend to facilitate?
>>

>> I'm also curious about this.   mythbackend has several X library
>> dependencies, and therefore I would think that somewhere along the way
>> you'd run into trouble if they were not present.
>
>      The X libraries connect to whatever graphics display server you are
> using wherever you happen to be sitting. You don't even need ANY display
> hardware to be present for a machine to be running an X app so long as
> the X server is remote.

True, but try getting any modern distro to boot without /any/ display hardware!
Server-optimised software might but that likely involves other complications I
don't need.

The only problem I have found is that some motherboards have hardware that the
driver expects something to be plugged into before it will boot (hello, Intel!).
A simple xorg.conf selecting the VESA driver fixes this. You don't need anything
more for basic configuration, all the rest is done via ssh -X.

--

Mike Perkins