[mythtv-users] MythTV vs XBMC

Thomas Mashos thomas at mashos.com
Sun May 11 03:32:08 UTC 2014

On Sat, May 10, 2014 at 6:00 PM, jedi <jedi at mishnet.org> wrote:
> On Sat, May 10, 2014 at 05:40:19PM -0700, Thomas Mashos wrote:

>> >     I find this a bit puzzling. 5 TVs is OK but a $200 set top box for each
>> > of those TVs is a show stopper. I just don't get that.
>> >
>> >     If you can avoid Smart TVs, a $300 HTPC already pays for itself.
>> >
>> > [deletia]
>>
>> 5 TV's + RPI's $1675
>>
>> 5 TV's + HTPC ($300) - $3000
>>
>> If you can't see why one is way more attractive than the other then I
>> can't help you.
>
>    No you can't because I see 5 TVs as excessive regardless.
>
>    It's like being too cheap to put the manufacturer recommended gas and
> tires into a luxury sedan when you already blew plenty of money on the
> car to begin with.
>
>    I can understand genuinely poor people. I grew up poor. I know what it's
> like to genuinely not have the money to spare. However, people that have 5 TVs
> and then whine about the cost of a set top box just baffle me.
>
>   Then again, I view not needing to "settle" as a key benefit of not being poor
> anymore.
>
>   I also find your idea of what 5 TVs cost problematic.

I figured someone would disagree with what I had put for the cost of
the TV's, which is precisely why I looked to see what I could get a
40" TV for right now. (it's $278). So I averaged $300 per TV since
there will be some smaller and some larger, which is where I got the
$1500 from.

As for the 5 TV's, that isn't outside the realm of possibility. One in
the master bedroom, one in another bedroom, one in the living room,
one in the theater room, one in the kitchen. That's 5, and not even
all of the rooms would think about putting them in.

Then again, since you think 5 TV's is excessive then you probably
think that people with that many TV's are fine with throwing money
away on unnecessary hardware.

Thanks,

Thomas Mashos