[mythtv-users] OT: XBMC frontend use?

John Pilkington J.Pilk at tesco.net
Sat May 10 14:12:18 UTC 2014

On 10/05/14 13:27, Alistair Grant wrote:
> On Tue, May 6, 2014 at 8:20 AM, Jean-Yves Avenard <jyavenard at gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>> Le mardi 6 mai 2014, Thomas Mashos <thomas at mashos.com> a écrit :
>>
>>> Are there many MythTV users that use XBMC as a frontend (particularly
>>> for mythtv content)? I'm trying to gauge interest if I should look
>>> into doing a XBMC theme and possibly some packages.

>> The question we should ask now, is do we drop support for mythfrontend
>> completely and work on a much better integration of XBMC with the myth
>> backend (add support for mythbackend auto detection, support storage group
>> etc). Or do we continue to focus our effort on making the myth frontend
>> better
>
> I've never used XBMC so can't comment directly, however...  I'd hate
> to lose the ability to edit recordings and then run user jobs on them.
>
> A MythTV fan,
> Alistair

+1

I have never seen my Mythbox as an 'appliance' and my use of it is
clearly much more interactive than the norm.  Usually Myth runs in one
of several windows on a desktop, with control by keyboard and mouse.

In part I'm using it to try to provide my grandkids (and their parents
:-), and me) with DVDs of cherrypicked programmes that we will enjoy,
but I have to admit that they will often opt to watch something that is
currently available via the antenna - or online - and that I perhaps
wish the kids did it less.  I would quite like them to have a local
Mythbox that didn't require a resident geek to drive it, but I don't
really want to invest yet more time and effort in setting up and running
one in their house - even if they wanted one!.

I'm not much interested in eye candy, and I record quite a lot of radio.

John P