[mythtv-users] MythTV vs XBMC

Craig Treleaven ctreleaven at cogeco.ca
Sat May 10 12:22:37 UTC 2014

At 2:41 PM +1000 5/10/14, Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:
>On 10 May 2014 07:48, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
>

>>  Removed because:
>>
>>  a) It's unintuitive.
>
>???
>
>it works in millions of low-end phones...
>
>unintuitive?
>
>>  b) It didn't work in all text boxes, so it was inconsistent.
>>  c) We now have a full-fledged on-screen keyboard available.
>>  d) We use remote controls--not phones--to control MythTV and the vast
>>  majority (all?) remote controls do not have the letters above the numbers so
>>  people would have to memorize which button to hit for various letters and it
>>  makes it hard to type numbers (especially for people with real keyboards).
>
>that got to be the lamest excuse ever really...
>
>Searching any text with a remote control in myth sucks... period.
>
>>  e) People used to say, "I can't type zero in the text box because when I do
>>  I get a space," because they didn't realize that you have to hit 9 three
>>  times (or whatever number it was that wasn't zero) to get a zero.
>>  f) (OK, this wasn't so much a concern back when it was removed) Even phones
>>  don't use that input style, anymore, so why would people think that a DVR
>>  would.  (It's not 1999, anymore, people. ;)
>>

>fine..
>
>find me an easier way, as efficient method to enter text then...
>
>and no, dozen of keypress to enter a letter isn't a valid option

I never did texting on a phone with only number keys, so I have no
idea where to find anything after 'e'!

A square grid for text entry, such as on the AppleTV is slightly better:

http://km.support.apple.com/library/APPLE/APPLECARE_ALLGEOS/HT4558/en_US/HT4558_01-apple_tv-search-en.png

The 6X6 layout means that the desired character is VISIBLE and
usually only a few clicks away.  AppleTV supports caps/lowercase,
full range of punctuation and accented characters.  Doesn't even need
number keys!

Craig