[mythtv-users] MythTV vs XBMC

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Fri May 9 21:48:24 UTC 2014

On 05/09/2014 01:18 PM, Sam Jacobs wrote:
> On 8 May 2014 at 11:54:56, Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:
>>  From a usability perspective:
>> - be able to use the numeric keypad of the remote to enter text, just
>> like T9. Searching a video is just too painful.
> Yes! This was actually *removed*, several years ago, but I’m unable to find exactly when or even a reason why.

Removed because:

a) It's unintuitive.
b) It didn't work in all text boxes, so it was inconsistent.
c) We now have a full-fledged on-screen keyboard available.
d) We use remote controls--not phones--to control MythTV and the vast
majority (all?) remote controls do not have the letters above the
numbers so people would have to memorize which button to hit for various
letters and it makes it hard to type numbers (especially for people with
real keyboards).
e) People used to say, "I can't type zero in the text box because when I
do I get a space," because they didn't realize that you have to hit 9
three times (or whatever number it was that wasn't zero) to get a zero.
f) (OK, this wasn't so much a concern back when it was removed) Even
phones don't use that input style, anymore, so why would people think
that a DVR would.  (It's not 1999, anymore, people. ;)

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/dev/250554#250554

Mike