[mythtv-users] Forum reminder and feature requests

Brian J. Murrell brian at interlinx.bc.ca
Fri May 9 19:24:56 UTC 2014

On Fri, 2014-05-09 at 20:04 +0100, Paul Harrison wrote:
> On 09/05/14 15:52, Brian J. Murrell wrote:
> > And here is _exactly_ why I dislike forums.  They are designed to
> > generate clicks -- presumably to drive advertising.  Not saying that
> > this is what the MythTV forums are doing but just that this is what the
> > software is designed for and so everyone is a victim of it.

> <sigh>

Yeah.  <sigh> is right.

> There is no advertising on the MythTV forum.

So I've kept a copy of exactly what I said in the message to which you
are referring.  Let me highlight the part where I specifically said that
this is not what was going on:

        Not saying that this is what the MythTV forums are doing but
        just that this is what the software is designed for and so
        everyone is a victim of it

But it's just the nature of the software being used to drive up clicks.
I am not saying MythTV forums are getting any benefit but just that
that's what the software does but in doing so is super-annoying to use.

> You clearly don't like forums

You are right.

> that's fine but please don't spoil it for
> others that do.

I'm not spoiling anything.  I am not preventing anyone from using them.
I am just stating why they are so awful to use.  Or maybe you don't want
to know how you could make them better so that more people would use
them.

b.