[mythtv-users] Mythbuntu 14.04 and unwanted pop-ups

Will Dormann wdormann at gmail.com
Fri May 9 15:10:47 UTC 2014

On 5/5/14, 9:20 AM, Will Dormann wrote:
> A reasonable compromise would be to use a WM like fluxbox if you
> really need/want one.  That's the route I took with creating the
> UbuFuzz VM for fuzzing.  It's lightweight enough to not use noticeable
> resources, and it won't ever get in your way.

FTR, here's what I did:

$ sudo aptitude remove xfce4-session xfce4-panel xfce4-terminal
xfce4-settings xfce4-volumed thunar libxfce4ui-1-0 libxfce4ui-common
libxfce4util-bin  libxfce4util-common libxfce4util6 xfwm4

A number of other packages get uninstalled with that, like exo-utils.
Just agree to the suggested action.

Install fluxbox:
sudo aptitude install fluxbox

The first time I ran sudo update-alternatives --config x-window-manager,
I got an option to select "/usr/bin/startfluxbox", but only in "manual
mode".   I selected this and restarted.  I manually logged in and now I
get the following, allowing me to select "auto mode".  Not sure why it
wasn't there the first time.

$ sudo update-alternatives --config x-window-manager
There is 1 choice for the alternative x-window-manager (providing
/usr/bin/x-window-manager).

  Selection    Path                   Priority   Status
  0            /usr/bin/startfluxbox   50        auto mode
* 1            /usr/bin/startfluxbox   50        manual mode

Finally, two tweaks:

in ~/.fluxbox/init:
session.screen0.toolbar.visible: false

in ~/.fluxbox/startup:
# And last but not least we start fluxbox.
# Because it is the last app you have to run it with ''exec'' before it.

xset-dpms
xset s off
mythfrontend &

In the end you have a system with less cruft, and you still have a
window manager in case *something* might require it.

-WD