[mythtv-users] MythTV vs XBMC

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Thu May 8 16:57:10 UTC 2014

On 5/8/2014 6:54 AM, Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:
> Personally, in the thing I'd like to add.
>  From an architecture level. Get rid of the database configuration in
> the frontend. It should do everything through the backend so we can
> really have plug&play. Start the frontend, select a backend (if more
> than one), play.

MythTV has already done that for several releases*.

* It requires UPnP autodetection be enabled on the backend (it is by
default).  It requires the database server already be configured to
listen on the network.  It requires the machine the frontend is running
on be granted rights to the database using the same credentials as the
backend is configured to use.

The frontend will query all available backends using UPnP and attempt to
pull database credentials from a web page served by the backend,
optionally locked with a PIN, however the database configuration
requirements necessary to make it work are one of the motivations to
migrating MythTV to an embedded database that the backend can manage
automatically.