[mythtv-users] MythTV vs XBMC

Greg Thompson gthompson20 at gmail.com
Thu May 8 16:48:18 UTC 2014

On May 8, 2014, at 12:36 PM, Raymond Wagner <raymond at wagnerrp.com> wrote:

> On 5/7/2014 6:05 PM, Thomas Mashos wrote:
>> 2) I've heard the reasoning behind why it's done the way it currently
>> is, and I still disagree with it. IIRC, it is because it comes from
>> different sources, one is archived media, and the other is recorded
>> watch and delete media. The issue with that is I don't go to my media
>> center and say "hey, I want to watch some archived media", I say "hey,
>> I want to watch a movie".
>
> There are certain management requirements that demand recordings have a customized view, however that's not to say there cannot be any combined views with both recordings and archived content. Ideally, recordings would be blended into any of the metadata-generated views in the Video Library.

While I love the XBMC interface there are some serious LiveTV issues with it IMHO.

1. No way to type a channel on the EPG screen to go right to that entry
2. No way to hit up and down arrow and browse an on screen EPG and then Hit “OK” or Enter to change to that channel (There is a setting that lets you set a time delay before switching to the channel, but no way to not HAVE to go to a channel once you start browsing them.

These 2 alone Killed the WAF for me and she likes the MythFE much better because of these.

Greg