[mythtv-users] modernizing mythtv

Tim Draper veehexx at zoho.com
Thu May 8 08:59:42 UTC 2014

---- On Thu, 08 May 2014 04:32:07 +0100 Saul A. Peebsen <jaglover at gmail.com> wrote ----

On Wed, 07 May 2014 23:04:05 -0400
Will Dormann <wdormann at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 5/7/14, 10:35 PM, jacek burghardt wrote:
> > Moving mythtv-setup to web based would make it more accessible now
> > i have to fireup vncserver before i can configure mythtv.
>

> You shouldn't ever need to use VNC. X works over the network. Just
> "ssh -Y" to your host.

No need for SSH, X has native feature to be accessed remotely, SSH is
needed only if accessed over untrusted network. You can have an X app
installed in a remote box - no X needed in this box - and you can run
this app from any box that has X installed. It is amazing how people do
not remember basics.

--
Cheers, Saul

For me, it's not about knowing the basics (although, i admit, I was unaware there was an alternative to SSH -Y for this). Some of my machines at home are windows, so having remote X isnt always an option. Sometimes I access remotely over a 70KB/s upload internet line, so webgui would definitely be preferable.

Back to the question in hand... the 2 things I would really love to see in mythtv is 1) mythtv-setup handled via web interface (or even SSH... just something away from remote X/VNC usage), 2) better streaming media integration. I don't know if this is a technical thing with how iplayer/youtube etc handle things, but I find a harmony remote not really useable; difficult player controls, not full screen etc.
This second one isn't major - tend to use laptop or tablet for streaming video. definitely falls in the 'nice to have' category rather than essential for my usage though.

tbh, I thought a webgui/ssh text-based mythtv-setup was penciled in for 0.27 release (I think I heard that around early 0.25 final release), but that does not seem to of be the case.