[mythtv-users] Excessive CPU usage with 27.5 x64 Fedora?

Jonatan Lindblad mythtv at comhem.se
Wed May 7 19:48:24 UTC 2014

On 2014-05-07 20:57, Another Sillyname wrote:
> I've just upgraded to 27.5 on a Mythfrontend Fedora x64 box and
> something seems to have got broken, previous version has run happily
> on this machine for about a year with 3-4 month yum updates.
>
> I noticed that when a recording or video ended the 'return' to menu
> screen was not snappy and sometimes it would only partially return
> (i.e. The last frame from the video would take up the majority of the
> screen with a 'box' where you could see the part of the menu screen
> visible, however the behaviour was inconsistent).

Sounds like a graphics driver/X issue?

Have you tried to change to a different theme painter and/or playback profile?

> So I've taken that machine out of production to do some analysis.....
>
> Clean Boot
>
> Start HTOP in a Terminal Session
>
> Start mythfrontend in a seperate Terminal Session
>
> Library-->  Recordings -->  Select just one recording....Play
> recording for say 10 seconds.
>
> Exit out of recording..back to recordings selection menu
>
> Select HTOP Terminal Session to see what's happening
>
> mythfrontend has saturated all 4 cores on a quad core box at 100% and
> just sits there eat CPU cycles even though mythfrontend isn't doing
> anything 'active'.
>
> Screengrab here
>
> http://postimg.org/image/pl3eywb2j/

If you enable "Tree view" and "Show custom thread names" we might see the types of the busy threads.

You could also use strace to find out what system calls those threads are calling, e.g.
strace -p 1605

Cheers

--
Jonatan