[mythtv-users] OT: XBMC frontend use?

Greg Thompson gthompson20 at gmail.com
Wed May 7 15:15:51 UTC 2014

On Wed, May 7, 2014 at 11:09 AM, Greg Thompson <gthompson20 at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Wed, May 7, 2014 at 10:57 AM, Craig Treleaven <ctreleaven at cogeco.ca>wrote:
>
>> At 9:42 AM -0400 5/7/14, Greg Thompson wrote:
>>
>>>  > On May 7, 2014, at 8:55 AM, Craig Treleaven <ctreleaven at cogeco.ca>

>>> to the approved methodology and embrace the Services API.
>>>  >
>>> The current API has no way to start watching live tv. Additionally I
>>> have found The documentation wrong in some cases and not complete in
>>> others. It's hard to build a complete frontend on the API in its current
>>> state.
>>>

>> No one said it is feature complete yet...which is part of the reason I
>> made the dogfood comment!
>>
>> Why not help move the current state forward?
>>

>> Craig
>>

> I would love to, but I am not a QT/C++ dev by any means. I did explore the
> code and part of the issue is just finding where everything is at in the
> directory structure.... I am mostly Objective C, Visual Studio.NET. I was
> trying to write a nice fronted on iOS since Torc on iOS appears to be
> abandoned. I have Ceton Tuners and was able to write my own LiveTV app in a
> matter of a couple hours using the Guide API and external applications
> (PHP, Curl, VLC to transcode the mpeg 2 to mp4 , Apache) but became
> frustrated with the internal transcoder and streamer, no way to start a
> live tv stream, and incorrect documentation on the API. (For the record I
> was attempting to start a custom Recording and then grab that file to
> stream live tv. The API shows StartTime as one of the fields needed to get
> to current recordings, but it took awhile to figure out that it is in fact
> StartTimeTTS or something like that). Not to mention the internal
> transcode/streaming mechanism seems far worse than VLC in Quality and
> speed.
>
> I realize some of these issues are outside the scope of the original
> email. etc.
>
> Greg

I realize I am responding to myself, but I wanted to add that I just
considered writing my own API for an iOS app using the 3rd party apps
listed in my original email. But that made no sense and seemed stupid to
waste dev hours on something outside of MythBackend itself. My question
would be, why does the backend have to try and include all this
functionality in itself? Why can't the API use vlc, apache, and native
mythtv calls to start streams ? It seems to me that the regular client must
make some kind of call to the backend to start live tv. If I can get the
mpeg file then I can grab it with vlc and send it to Apache in an HTTP HLS
steaming format.