[mythtv-users] OT: XBMC frontend use?

Jim Oltman jim.oltman at gmail.com
Tue May 6 17:06:00 UTC 2014

On Mon, May 5, 2014 at 4:20 PM, Jean-Yves Avenard <jyavenard at gmail.com>wrote:

> I love that XBMC doesn't require much configuration for the type of video
> playback, it will select things automatically. On the other hand, you can't
> by default enjoy some advanced option (like it uses the temporal 2x vdpau
> deinterlacers only, not the advanced one)...
>
> The question we should ask now, is do we drop support for mythfrontend
> completely and work on a much better integration of XBMC with the myth
> backend (add support for mythbackend auto detection, support storage group
> etc). Or do we continue to focus our effort on making the myth frontend
> better

JYA & all,

 If you're taking a user vote, then I say drop MFE but keep MBE and slaves
in development.  MythTV Backend is praised across the internet for being
one of the best recording applications out there (and it is!).  I would
think that with the MythDevs experience, they could add some amazing things
to XBMC (Like PiP, Advanced Deinterlacing and everything JYA mentions
above).  I know there's a ton of work involved in that, and it's not only
coding, but personality and being accepted as core XBMC devs (since that's
what doing the work above would entail).

Please keep in mind, that I've run MFE since 2004 and have loved it.  It
redefined media consumption for me.  However, XBMC does seem to be more
widely used.  I'm not trying to start a revolution, just putting my opinion
out there as a lowly "user".  Please don't throw the stones too hard at me.

Jim