[mythtv-users] Mythbuntu 14.04 and unwanted pop-ups

Thomas Mashos thomas at mashos.com
Mon May 5 15:09:29 UTC 2014

On Mon, May 5, 2014 at 7:45 AM, Brian J. Murrell <brian at interlinx.bc.ca> wrote:
> On Mon, 2014-05-05 at 13:48 +0000, Leo Butler wrote:
>>
>> There is no need to wait for the mythbuntu team to implement your
>> idea. Create your .deb package, sign it, put it up on a ppa and
>> announce it to this list.
>
> Which means doing whatever I have to get a PPA, and since I have no idea
> what that is, it means figuring that out, etc.  And then people have to
> discover my PPA instead of everyone who gets Mythbuntu just getting it.
> It's just not the right solution, IMHO.
>
>> Of course, if you just want to complain about other people not
>> implementing your own brilliant idea, then...
>
> I think I already mentioned that I owed them (at least) a contribution
> if they were willing to accept it through into their distribution
> packaging, so you can get off of your high horse.
>
>> I don't understand some folks. If one decides to venture off the
>> beaten path, best carry a machete to blaze one's own trail...
>
> And what's your point?  I have my machete in my hand.
>
>> and stop
>> wasting energy criticizing others for not blazing the trail chosen.
>
> Offering help and opinion is not criticizing.  If nobody offered
> opinions and ideas then there would only be one way to do anything and
> everything and that way would most likely not be the best way most of
> the time.
>
>> I run 12.04 ubuntu with the myth packages as a frontend (not
>> mythbuntu) on an old thinkpad t43, and 99.9% of the time I don't need
>> a windowmanager, but for that 0.1% of the time I am glad I do.
>
> What is a specific example of that 0.1%?  I keep seeing the hand-waving
> about needing a window manager but nobody ever produces a specific
> use-case when they have needed it.
>
> On the other hand I can produce a number of specific use-cases of never
> needing it, which is the many/several frontends that I have been running
> throughout both mine and family members homes for over 10 years now.
> None of them have ever had window managers and none have ever had window
> focus/selection/etc. problems.
>
> Cheers,
> b.

The Mythbuntu team is happy to accept contributions, provided you want
to maintain it. We're not too keen on code dumped on us for us to
maintain (there is only 2-3 of us). If someone wants to create this
feature, maintain it, and it works*, I see no reason why we wouldn't
allow it as an installation type. superm1 would have the final say on
that though.

* Works as in, it does what it was designed to do without stomping on
other packages when installed. We'd probably put an *Advanced* warning
on it since networking and such would need to be configured manually.

Thanks,

Thomas Mashos