[mythtv-users] HDPVR S/PDIF troubles

John J Tucker mythtv
Thu May 1 13:23:42 UTC 2014

Martin,

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
A Web service is a method of communications between two electronic devices over a network. It is a software function provided at a network address over the web with the service always on as in the concept of utility computing.

The W3C defines a Web service as:

a software system designed to support interoperable machine-to-machine interaction over a network. It has an interface described in a machine-processable format (specifically WSDL). Other systems interact with the Web service in a manner prescribed by its description using SOAPmessages, typically conveyed using HTTP with an XML serialization in conjunction with other Web-related standards.

In other words, the DirecTV Set Top Boxes listen on port 8080 for hypertext transport protocol (http) commands and respond with formatted messages that tell you what is going on.  Very cool! One can even use a web browser to debug and test the interface. Just enter http://192.168.0.201:8080 {command}

There is a python script on the MythTV wiki (directtv_http.pl) that does most of the work
Here is a list of the commands from one of the sample MythTV wiki scripts

# Map commands to function to execute.
# last_param is handled in main routine.
%cmds=("on" => \&on,
      "off" => \&off,
      "reboot" => \&reboot,
      "ip" => \&ip,
      "get_channel" => \&get_channel,
      "get_signal" => \&get_signal,
      "get_systemtime" => \&get_systemtime,
      "get_systemversion" => \&get_systemversion,
      "key" => \&key,
      "serial" => \&serial,
      "delay" => \&delay,
      "version" => \&version,