[mythtv-users] So confused. Firewire to STB - channel change script - mythchanger

Eric Sharkey eric at lisaneric.org
Thu Mar 27 20:08:06 UTC 2014

On Thu, Mar 27, 2014 at 1:59 PM, Philip Isaacs <showcasefloyd at gmail.com> wrote:
> @Eric, the second Ebay link you posted is actually almost identical to what
> I have already. It was part of this model of WinTV HVR 1600 (model 01183:
> WinTV-HVR-1600 MC-Kit, Media Center certified remote control) It came with
> USB Media Center Remote control receiver/blaster box.

Really?  Hauppauge must have changed the design.

If you look at the product page:

http://www.hauppauge.com/site/products/data_hvr1600.html

it still shows the photo for the model 01181 version.  In this model,
the IR blaster connects directly to the PCI card, as you can see in
the bottom port in the photo.  It does not go through USB.  If they've
removed that and instead started shipping an HP style mceusb
transceiver, then you do have a genuine mceusb device.

> I've been placing the end of the IT trasmitter cable in front of the Comcast
> STB but it does nothing.

Can you see it blink using a digital camera?

> @Pete, I've already scooped an an IguanaIR on eBay. But I'm a bit confused
> as to why Comcast keeps telling me that I need a IR Receiver attached to the
> back on the RNG150N for this work. I agree it doesn't make a lot of sense,
> because of course I can simply point my Comcast Remote at the box and it
> changes channels, but there are many messages on the Comcast forums saying
> otherwise.

You do not need an external IR receiver attached to the STB, but
sometimes it's nice to have one.  It allows more cabling options.  I'm
no longer using an IR blaster, but when I was, I did use an external
receiver, which I taped to the emitter, and then wrapped that whole
bundle in opaque paper.  This allowed me to control two STBs using the
same protocol in the same room without IR interference.

Eric