[mythtv-users] FE sound stopped working - Update

Mike Carron jmcarron at starstream.net
Thu Mar 27 03:54:57 UTC 2014

On 3/26/2014 8:42 PM, Mike Carron wrote:

> On 3/26/2014 7:21 PM, Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:
>> On 27 March 2014 11:00, Mike Carron <jmcarron at starstream.net> wrote:
>>> I temporarily switched one FE from my production MBE to a test setup
>>> where
>>> I'm going to attempt to upgrade from 0.25 to 0.27 in the next day or
>>> so.
>>> After I switched it back to the production MBE all was fine for
>>> about 15
>>> minutes and then sound output ceased. The first thing I did was go
>>> to Setup,
>>> verified that nothing had changed and ran the speaker test which was
>>> good.
>>> I'm writing this from a Windows machine where I can't conveniently
>>> grab the
>>> frontend log but at the same time as the sound disappeared a set of
>>> 4 error
>>> messages started appearing in the log:
>>>
>>>      ALSA: setting hardware buffer size to 128
>>>      ALSA: Error opening /proc/asound/card0/pcm3p/sub0/prealloc:
>>> Permission
>>> denied
>>>      ALSA: Tryto manually increase audio buffer size...
>>>      ALSA: Unable to sufficiently increase ALSA hardware buffer size -
>>> underruns are likely
>>>
>>> Those four error messages repeat regularly as long as I'm trying to
>>> play
>>> something. I've searched various threads dealing with ALSA, buffer
>>> size and
>>> related issues and have not found anything that resembles my situation.
>>>
>>> Any thoughts on where I might look?
>> You can ignore those.
>>
>> They aren't error as such, just a hint that you may have buffer
>> underruns.
>>
>> You haven't reported the problems you are having.
>>
>> What exactly is happening?
>>
>> you have no audio, no video what?
>>
> ***
> Sorry, my description was a bit hidden.
>
> About 15 minutes into watching a live program the sound suddenly
> ceased. I went from completely normal sound to no sound at all. I
> changed channels and also tried playing a recording - all silent.
>
> I mentioned switching between backends just in case that activity
> could have unforeseen side effects.
>
> mike

***
Disregard my previous. After an earlier reboot had failed to fix the
problem I shut that unit down for several hours. I just now restarted it
and MAGIC!, the sound is once again normal. It will be on for the rest
of the evening and I'll see if/when it goes silent again.

For what it's worth, the unit in question is a Zotac ZBOX AD03. I had
already purchased two of them before I heard of Mythtv and had no idea
the wonderful problems ahead of me with ATI drivers.

mike