[mythtv-users] Myth Netvision audio not working

Don Brett dlbrett at zoominternet.net
Thu Mar 27 02:24:29 UTC 2014

On 3/23/2014 3:09 PM, Angela wrote:
>> PS - aplay was a bit odd; this command doesn't work at all:
>> don at zedo:~$ aplay -D hw:1,3 /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Front_Left.wav
>>
>> ...this works, but only on the second try (try command...nothing; try
>> command again...works fine):
>> don at zedo:~$ aplay -D plughw:1,3 /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Front_Left.wav
>>
>> ...VLC didn't work until I changed it's output (start playing a clip,
> select audio >
>> audio device > pick the HDMI device)
> I had similar problems, VDR, XBMC, Flash, etc. didn't play over HDMI.
> The problem is that sometimes the /var/lib/alsa/asound.state gets "corrupt".
> Using alsamixer to fix it (volume up/down, unmute/mute), does not work.
>
> Delete the above file and reboot, or recreate it by hand (read manpage vor
> alsactl).
>
> At boot restore a working state file:
> alsa-restore.conf:exec /sbin/alsactl restore -f
> /var/lib/alsa/asound.state.correct
>
> Still you should have a working /etc/asound.conf (I don't have one).

Makes sense, but I don't really understand the instructions...
-delete the file - done
-reboot - done

$ alsa-restore.conf:exec /sbin/alsactl restore -f

returns:
$ alsa-restore.conf:exec: command not found

I have /etc/init/alsa-restore.conf...what did I miss?  By the way, alsamixer doesn't run now...not sure when that happened.

don at zedo:~$ sudo alsamixer
cannot open mixer: Invalid argument

While I was experimenting, I came across a suggestion to remove pulseaudio

$ sudo apt-get remove pulseaudio

After removing it, the audio in chromium (flashplayer) started working.
Tried the movie trailer player in Myth-netvision, but still no audio.