[mythtv-users] FE sound stopped working

Mark Perkins perkins1724 at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 27 00:32:24 UTC 2014

> On 27 Mar 2014, at 10:30 am, "Mike Carron" <jmcarron at starstream.net> wrote:
>
> I temporarily switched one FE from my production MBE to a test setup where I'm going to attempt to upgrade from 0.25 to 0.27 in the next day or so. After I switched it back to the production MBE all was fine for about 15 minutes and then sound output ceased. The first thing I did was go to Setup, verified that nothing had changed and ran the speaker test which was good. I'm writing this from a Windows machine where I can't conveniently grab the frontend log but at the same time as the sound disappeared a set of 4 error messages started appearing in the log:
>
>     ALSA: setting hardware buffer size to 128
>     ALSA: Error opening /proc/asound/card0/pcm3p/sub0/prealloc: Permission denied
>     ALSA: Tryto manually increase audio buffer size...
>     ALSA: Unable to sufficiently increase ALSA hardware buffer size - underruns are likely
>
> Those four error messages repeat regularly as long as I'm trying to play something. I've searched various threads dealing with ALSA, buffer size and related issues and have not found anything that resembles my situation.
>
> Any thoughts on where I might look?
>
> --
> mike

Maybe just a random hiccup? Try a reboot and see if / when it reoccurs? Given that your machine is normally reliable and stable. In particular see if the sound returns on reboot then disappears again after a period of time.

I will probably get shot down for suggesting a reboot but I get some random problem about once a month that resolves with a reboot and doesn't return....

Maybe it just means I'm too lazy / time poor / ignorant too chase down the problem, but in my defense it's hard to find problems that only occur once then go away.