[mythtv-users] So confused. Firewire to STB - channel change script - mythchanger

Peter Bennett (cats22) cats22 at comcast.net
Tue Mar 25 21:22:22 UTC 2014

On 03/25/2014 02:50 PM, Philip Isaacs wrote:

> @Gabe - Do you know where I can find an example (or a tutorial) of how
> to write a channel changing script that will call my IR Blaster from
> within MythTV? I understand how it works now, but I'm not sure where
> to go from there.
>
> Floyd

Like you, I have Comcast, and like you, I found that nothing I did would
make channel changing work through firewire. I recommend using an
IguanaIR IR blaster, you can get it from their website (iguanaworks.net)
for $40. My script is here
https://code.google.com/p/mythtv-scripts/source/browse/trunk/install/opt/mythtv/bin/channelchange.sh
Other necessary scripts are also there. The IR channel changing is 100%
reliable with these scripts, and you just point mythtv to the external
channel change script /opt/mythtv/bin/channelchange.sh. The script takes
care of a number of glitches that can happen, like the Iguana service
failing, lirc failing, the set top box being turned off etc. One thing
that DOES work with the Comcast set top box is detecting through
firewire that it is turned on.

To use those scripts a number of things need to be set up - iguana
service, lirc, etc.

Since tuning the set top box with an IR blaster takes a few seconds, I
set in mythtv the option to start recordings 15 seconds early.

A small tip - you can use the set top box built in "VCR timer" to set it
to turn on at the correct times for the programs. You can see the
upcoming program list on mythtv and set the set top box to tune the
correct channels at those times. However this method is really only for
emergencies since it is very tedious and you can easily make mistakes.

Peter