[mythtv-users] So confused. Firewire to STB - channel change script - mythchanger

Gabe Rubin gaberubin at gmail.com
Tue Mar 25 18:39:11 UTC 2014

On Tue, Mar 25, 2014 at 11:33 AM, Gary Buhrmaster <gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
> wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 25, 2014 at 6:22 PM, Gabe Rubin <gaberubin at gmail.com> wrote:
> > You may need to do something so the permissions hold on reboot.
>
> The "recommended" way to do this in current Linux distros is udev rules
> to assign permissions and groups (the defaults may, or may not, be
> good with current distros for firewire devices), with the appropriate
> usermod issued at some point to add your mythtv user to the group
> assigned by your udev rules (often, but not required to be, the video
> group).
>
> No matter how you do it, document it, and place that documentation
> somewhere that you can reference it in three years when you are
> forced to rebuild your system (unless you have the memory of a
> mtdean, who just remembers it all :-).
>
> Gary

And my typical documentation is actually on this list.  It is amazing how
many times after re-building a system I google the issue and find the
solution and realize it is one I posted to the list a few years before.
Documenting the solutions to the list doesn't just help out other users --
it may help yourself in the future.