[mythtv-users] So confused. Firewire to STB - channel change script - mythchanger

Gabe Rubin gaberubin at gmail.com
Tue Mar 25 18:22:16 UTC 2014

On Tue, Mar 25, 2014 at 11:13 AM, Philip Isaacs <showcasefloyd at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 25, 2014 at 12:27 PM, Gary Buhrmaster <
> gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Mar 25, 2014 at 4:02 PM, Greg Woods <greg at gregandeva.net> wrote:
>> > ... On Firewire, you are only
>> > going to be able to get the local broadcast network channels
>>
>> This is completely dependent on your MSO.  Typically
>> what is available via firewire is the same as what is
>> marked as CCI copy freely.  For some MSOs, that
>> does mean only the local broadcast networks, for
>> others that is almost everything other than the PPVs
>> and premiums (HBO, STARZ, ShowTime, etc.).  In
>> the US, Time Warner tends to be very restrictive,
>> Comcast (which the OP has) less restrictive.  But
>> every region/franchise has edge cases.
>>
>> I do agree with starting with the broadcast channels
>> however, since they are less likely to be part of the
>> various edge cases.
>

> So last night I was able to get the Firewire working via my STB in MythTV.
> Yeah! Luckily I was already starting on a local channel so I didn't run
> into any issues there, but it did seem to work fine with most channels I
> switched to. I do not get any Premium channels so I can't really try it
> with that anyway. The problem (for anyone in the future who runs into this)
> was that there was a permissions issue with the /dev/fw0 and /dev/fw1 on my
> Mythbuntu machine. I just changed them via chmod to 666 and the video began
> working!

You may need to do something so the permissions hold on reboot.  I had to
create a script in rc.local to change the permissions because I could not
understand or get udev to work properly (but I believe that is the correct
way).  I use fedora, so YMMV depending on what you use.

> The next hurdle is getting the channel changing to work, but after a lot
> of research I found that my particular STB won't work with any of the
> channel changing scripts at this point. It seems like most people have
> giving up on trying to get channel changing via firewire to work for the
> RNG150 around 2011 because there's been nothing new that I can find online
> since then about it.
>
> I'm thinking I'll probably try and set up an IR Remote on the STB since it
> seems like that will probably work (and I happen to already have a MCE IR
> Kit from my WinTV HVP 1600 that I think I can use), but I do have a new
> questions. Is MythTV able to change the channels for me with this set up?
> For instance if I set up a schedule to record a program will MythTV be able
> to change the channel for me or do I still need to do it manually? And how
> does this exactly work?
>
> Floyd

My understanding is you can use an IR blaster to change channels on STB.
Once you have the IR blaster set up with a script to change the channel,
then just have myth call up the script when you set up the capture card in
mythtv-setup.  There is a place to enter the command to change channels
using a script (should be something like /usr/bin/nameofscript) and you
will be off working.