[mythtv-users] rebalance deleted recordings

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu Mar 20 17:22:43 UTC 2014

On 03/20/2014 12:37 PM, Simon Hobson wrote:
> Michael T. Dean wrote:
>> On 03/20/2014 10:58 AM, Simon Hobson wrote:
>>> It is a known problem (in that it's come up here before) that Myth doesn't always "get it right" when disks are full/nearly full.
>> No, MythTV only has a problem when the user specifies the /wrong/ Storage Group Disk Scheduler ( http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Storage_Groups#Storage_Group_Disk_Scheduler ).  If you run MythTV with full disks, you should be fine as long as you don't specify "Balanced Free Space" or "Balanced Percent Free Space" disk schedulers.  (Note, too, that "Balanced Free Space" is the default--because users complained that it wasn't.  So, you need to change this if you plan to run with full disks.
> It may only be a problem with certain settings, but that doesn't make it "not a problem".

It's not a problem when you properly configure your system.  So anyone
who has read my message and who has mostly-full file systems should not
have a problem anymore--any who hadn't already have gone in and fixed
their broken configuration.

>   For "doesn't always get it right" you can (as you've pointed out) add "depending on user settings

And I'm simply saying the problem isn't with MythTV, but is with the
user telling MythTV to do something stupid.  :)

>   - and the default setting causes this problem".

Yes.  IMHO, that's the real problem.  It's the default because users
complained that it wasn't, so it got changed from a value that was good
for people with empty, partially-used, and full file systems
(Combination) to one that's (maybe?) only appropriate for users who have
one (or some small number) of empty and several full file systems (where
the maybe means only those who are also too lazy to do a quick "mv
/path/to/recordings/1071_2014* /path/to/empty/drive/recordings/").  But,
hey, users (who don't necessarily understand the details) should make
the technical decisions about software development***.

Mike

*** "Any sane software uses UTC!"  OK, now we're using UTC--so now every
time you create a recording rule that involves days and/or times or you
get or send date/time information to MythTV, you'll have to deal with
DST and local time conversion yourself.  But don't worry!  Now you can
record those high-value shows that air at 2am on the two DST change days
each year without having to set a start early/end late.  Now everyone
enjoy this change, and go watch those infomercials!