[mythtv-users] Is there a good way to balance tuner use?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu Mar 20 16:05:23 UTC 2014

On 03/20/2014 11:07 AM, Stephen Worthington wrote:
> You could just rebalance the drives occasionally by moving recording
> files between them.  I have a script that does that for me when I add
> a new empty drive:
>
>    http://www.jsw.gen.nz/mythtv/balance_storage.sh
>
> I have never tested it on a master/slave setup, but it should work
> fine, if a little slower when moving files over the ethernet
> connection.

You can move a file wherever you like--to any directory in any Storage
Group defined on any host--but if you move it from one host's storage to
another's, it will only be found if the original recording host can
still see the file.  Therefore, you'd need to have network file systems.

At this point we only ever ask the recording host (the one that
originally recorded the show) for the video, so if it's only visible
from another host, we won't find it.  Eventually, we'll fix it to check
all hosts.  Until then, I'd recommend either keeping recordings on the
original recording host or writing a script (using the Python bindings,
ideally) to update the hostname for the recording.  You could even
rewrite http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Myth_archive_job.pl with the Python
bindings (significantly simplifying the code, making it easy to add in
support for moving from one host to another).

Mike