[mythtv-users] anyone successfully using an AMD APU as a frontend?

Igor Cicimov icicimov at gmail.com
Mon Mar 17 21:52:03 UTC 2014

On 18/03/2014 7:23 AM, "Matt W" <mwood23 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all--until recently I was happily using an Nvidia 8400GS with VDPAU
but then the mobo died.  Figured it was time for an upgrade after 5 years
or so.  I thought AMD APU (AMD A6-6420K APU with an HD8470 onboard)  would
be the new hotness and a great way to go:  nice graphics for HD playback,
low power usage, good cpu speed!

> Well of course things didn't work out as smoothly as I'd hoped.  Between
jumping around with Debian 7.4, and backports, and the drm/nouveau drivers,
and AMD Catalyst drivers, getting playback without issues does not seem to
be in my immediate future.  In some cases, I can't even enter the Settings
menu in mythfrontend (it hangs), let alone playback hw-accelerated video.
 not sure what that's about

> If this guide is on the right track...:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=174854   then my guess is what I
really need is Mesa version 10 (Debian Wheezy has version 8) (?).  Or I
could just pop the old Nvidia card on the new mobo for a year or so until
AMD compatibility continues to grow.

> Any suggestions?  thanks!

I have a4-4000 apu a55m asrock motherboard and mythtv frontend on
ubuntu12.04 is running flawlessly for more than 2 years now including
vaapi. All i needed to do is install the open source radeon driver that