[mythtv-users] Playback hung

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Mar 17 10:28:20 UTC 2014

On 03/17/2014 12:31 AM, Dick Steffens wrote:
> While watching a recorded program it hung. There was no response to
> the remote, no response to the keyboard, and no response to the mouse
> (which I can see at the top edge of the screen while the front end is
> running). The only solution was to power cycle the machine. While
> Ubuntu 12.04 with Gnome was booting there was a message about /tmp not
> being present. Once the boot process was finished I opened up a
> nautilus window and navigated to /. tmp was there, and it had a number
> of files and directories inside it.
> Anyway, my original issue was related to playback freezing. Is there
> some other way I could have recovered from that other than power
> cycling the machine?
>
> I suppose I could have tried logging in from another machine. That
> didn't occur to me at the time.

FWIW, it sounds more like X--or your system itself--locked up, and not
that MythTV playback froze.  Generally, when this happens, it's due to
problems with drivers (here, likely the display/graphics driver), and
requires some sort of restart (at minimum X, but, IMHO, it's easier to
reboot the system and know it will work than to try restarting different
things over and over until it appears to work again).

Mike