[mythtv-users] Moving MythTV backend to another computer

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Mar 12 12:58:14 UTC 2014

On 03/12/2014 06:57 AM, Karl Dietz wrote:
> On 12.03.2014 11:13, Michael Watson wrote:
>> On 12/03/2014 1:54 AM, Peter Carlsson wrote:
>>> Hello!
>>>
>>> My current setup (0.27) has a dedicated BE/FE where I have the tuners.
>>> This is powered off whenever it is not recording or when we a watching
>>> a recording.
>>>
>>> I also have a desktop/server which is a FE and is running 24/7.
>>>
>>> To make it easier to update the recording schedule etc. I would like
>>> to move the BE and the database to the desktop/server but still have
>>> the tuners in the current BE/FE. The hostnames will be kept for the
>>> different systems.
>>>
>>> Is this possible without too much trouble and should I follow the
>>> instructions at http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Backend_migration ?
>>>
>>> Are there any pros/cons I might have to consider?
>>>
>> MythBuntu patches the mythtv code to allow use of a tunerless backend,
>> but you will hit a wall on this mailing list if you mention that you are
>> running a BE without a tuner. The simple workaround is to add a
>> Demo/Test tuner to the BE, it requires a MPEG-2 TS file, which you can
>> easily find on the web (and I'm guessing not to hard to create yourself
>> but never tried).
>
> or just add an IPTV recorder with some http-live-streaming channels to
> the master backend.
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/User_Manual:Setting_up_HTTP_Live_Streaming_Recorder

Or just ask the important question:  what is the reason for putting the
tuners on the computer that shuts down (and, therefore, will have to
wake up to record) rather than putting them on the always-on system that
you want to make the master backend (and, therefore, wouldn't need to
wake to record)?

/me doesn't understand why so many work so hard to design complex
systems where a simple solution exists.

Mike