[mythtv-users] saa7134 issue

John Pilkington J.Pilk at tesco.net
Tue Mar 11 23:52:09 UTC 2014

On 11/03/14 22:15, A Desai wrote:
> I am seeing a lot of this in my /var/log/messages:
>
> -------------------------
> Mar 11 17:07:41 localhost kernel: saa7134_alsa: disagrees about version
> of symbol snd_pcm_set_ops
> Mar 11 17:07:41 localhost kernel: saa7134_alsa: Unknown symbol
> snd_pcm_set_ops
> Mar 11 17:07:41 localhost kernel: saa7134_alsa: disagrees about version
> of symbol snd_pcm_hw_constraint_integer
> Mar 11 17:07:41 localhost kernel: saa7134_alsa: Unknown symbol
> snd_pcm_hw_constraint_integer
> Mar 11 17:07:41 localhost kernel: saa7134_alsa: disagrees about version
> of symbol snd_card_create
> Mar 11 17:07:41 localhost kernel: saa7134_alsa: Unknown symbol
> snd_card_create
> Mar 11 17:07:41 localhost kernel: saa7134_alsa: disagrees about version
> of symbol snd_pcm_period_elapsed
> Mar 11 17:07:41 localhost kernel: saa7134_alsa: Unknown symbol
> snd_pcm_period_elapsed
> Mar 11 17:07:41 localhost kernel: saa7134_alsa: disagrees about version
> of symbol snd_pcm_hw_constraint_step
> Mar 11 17:07:41 localhost kernel: saa7134_alsa: Unknown symbol
> snd_pcm_hw_constraint_step
> ----------------------------------
>

> Is there something I need to do to fix this?
>
> I tried reading about it and it seems that most say it can either be
> fixed by updating my kernel or getting a newer one from somewhere.
>
> Now updating my system after a year means hoping my QT doesn't give me
> an issue like it does every time I update my CentOS.
>
> Any help is appreciated...
>
> Thanks
>
> Ash

This looks like something that I used to see before going almost
exclusively digital several years ago.  I think it was related to the
backports needed for kernels that don't provide native device support.
The 3.10 series kernels from elrepo have worked well for me with
Scientific Linux 6 (now 6.5) and Qt etc from KDE-unstable, but as Gary
has said you will need to be careful about mixing packages from, or
based on, third-party repos.  It's something of a journey into the
unknown.

Your question about the benefits of updating MythTV really can't be
answered generally.  Fixes has had 185 updates since 0.27 and presumably
each was considered worthwhile by its author;  some might have no effect
at all on your specific pattern of use, while others might be just what
you never knew you wanted.  I'm at 0.27-178

Good luck!

John P