[mythtv-users] Latest thoughts on small silent frontends

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Mon Mar 10 22:57:51 UTC 2014

On Mon, Mar 10, 2014 at 9:57 PM, Tyler T <tylernt at gmail.com> wrote:
> No, and I don't want to annoy the dev in question by asking.

I could have sworn I saw a side-post that suggested that development
was on hiatus because the current video support (Qt/OpenGL/HWdecode?)
was somewhat sub-standard for the existing FE usages (and the FE
itself probably needs to go on a diet (or culling of functionality) to run
on lower end devices).

> The
> Cubox-i is out of stock until April 10, so we have to wait at least a
> month anyway.

I have no idea if they are getting better, but their previous
estimates have been substantially off (people reported not
getting their device until late February/early March when
it was supposed to ship in December).  It is both the
and benefit and curse of being a small startup.  Lots of
interest and orders, but no ability to quickly ramp up deliveries
(and you do not want to preorder lots of devices, since the next
great thing will eliminate all your future sales, let alone the
manufacturers want to be paid in advance, not after you
make the sale).  To be fair, the same thing is happening
to a lot of the (smaller) ARM development board/device
startups.  Wandboard, PandaBoard, BeagleBone, etc.
pretty much are/were in the same build to order startup mode
for their latest devices.  Raspberry Pi started there too
(although I think they have mostly caught up at this point).
I wonder how long the backorder queue is for the Arduino
Tre (the next big thing in the Arduino world).