[mythtv-users] WinTV-HVR1100 and Nova-TD Stick udev rules

Roger Siddons dizygotheca at ntlworld.com
Sat Mar 8 16:21:43 UTC 2014

<snip>

>>> My understanding is that the symlink should
>>> just point to the adapter, i.e.
>>>
>>> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 8 Mar 8 13:25 HVR1100 -> adapter2
>>>
>>> Manually setting this up allows the card to be configured and channels
>>> scanned with EIT as the video source.
>>>
>>> However:
>>>
>>> $ udevadm info -q path -n /dev/dvb/adapter2 --attribute-walk
>>> device node has wrong file type
>>>
>>> So I can't see how to generate the udev rule for the adapter, rather
>>> than just for frontend0.

adapter2 is just a directory containing the device nodes frontend0,
demux0, dvr0, net0, most/all of which Myth requires for the tuner to
function correctly.
Theoretically, creating a symlink adapterHVR1100 -> adapter2 should be
sufficient. However, you'll have to come up with your own rule to do that.
The easier approach documented in

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Device_Filenames_and_udev#Example_DVB_udev_Rules_file

is to create a new directory (adapterHVR1100) containing symlinks to each
of the nodes.

>>> (the next problem will be how to generate rules for the USB device,
>>> which has two tuners and I can't see anything to differentiate them
>>> based on udevadm output, but one step at a time).

The wiki has an example for this. I use the 2nd form. Essentially the 1st
tuner creates symlink1 and the 2nd tuner detects the presence of  symlink1
and so creates symlink2.

<snip>

>> I believe that the enumeration order is fixed for the two tuners on
>> the same device, so they should not swap around using the adapter_nr
>> option. But even if they do, they are identical tuners so it should
>> not cause any trouble unless you have given them different aerial
>> connections.

I agree with 'fixed enumeration order'. I have a troublesome Nova TD where
the one tuner is notably worse than the other. It always boots up as the
2nd tuner.

<snip>

> Daryl added an item to the wiki about this. Try something like:
>
> SUBSYSTEM=="dvb", ATTRS{device}=="0x8852", PROGRAM="/bin/sh -c 'K=%k;
> K=$${K#dvb}; printf dvb/adapterHP1250/%%s $${K#*.}; exit 0'",
> SYMLINK+="%c"
>
> on one line.

Specifically mythtv-setup only detects devices in directories named with
an "adapter" prefix.