[mythtv-users] Advice on clean install upgrade OS & MythTV?

steve networks1 at cox.net
Wed Mar 5 12:53:14 UTC 2014

I have an existing MythTV setup that is itself out of date and is
running on an old version of Fedora (FC 15).I want to do a clean install
of FC 20 and the latest MythTV package.I know for this purpose I need to
back up mythconverg and restore it once the new install is done.My
question is about recorded videos I have on the machine.These are on a
separate partition/drive from the OS and MythTV software, as shown:

[root at mythtv /]# parted -l

Model: ATA WDC WD3200AAKS-0 (scsi)

Disk /dev/sda: 320GB

Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B

Partition Table: msdos

NumberStartEndSizeTypeFile systemFlags

11049kB630MB629MBprimaryext4boot

2630MB4720MB4089MBprimarylinux-swap(v1)

34720MB320GB315GBprimaryext4

Model: ATA WDC WD1001FALS-0 (scsi)

Disk /dev/sdb: 1000GB

Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B

Partition Table: msdos

NumberStartEndSizeTypeFile systemFlags

11049kB1000GB1000GBprimaryxfs

One question is whether I can install FC 20 and MythTV on /dev/sda and
preserve the videos on /dev/sdb, or whether I need to back up the videos
to an external drive, format both drives, and restore the videos.  I
would rather avoid that if possible.

A second question is whether there is anything I can do on the new
install to address an audio stuttering issue I have been having on the
existing setup.I am pretty sure it's related to data throughput somehow
because it mainly happens when there is a lot of change in the video
(panning shots on HD programs for example) and I recall reading some
time ago that this could be related to the configuration of the file
system somehow.So maybe it would be better to back up the videos and
restore them on a different file system configuration anyway.