[mythtv-users] Mythweb authentication and iOS

Tom Harris thom.j.harris at gmail.com
Tue Mar 4 21:20:59 UTC 2014

On Fri, Feb 28, 2014 at 3:30 PM, Hika van den Hoven <hikavdh at gmail.com>wrote:

>  Hoi Tom,
>

> Friday, February 28, 2014, 11:18:35 PM, you wrote:
>

>  I have my mythweb configured to require authentication (
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Securing_MythWeb ), because I have it internet
> accessible.   It works fine.. I authenticate and get access to mythweb.
>
> It also works with iOS, except for the recurring annoyance that Safari
> does not remember my user/pass and automatically authenticate (as it does
> on the desktop version).    So, I have to repeatedly enter my credentials
> on the tiny little on-screen keyboard.
>
> Does this happen for everyone, or is ti just me?  I have not seen any
> other reports of this annoyance.   Are there other authentication schemes
> accessible in mythweb?  Maybe something that uses a login cookie which will
> persist on my browser and sidestep the recurring auth?
>

> This probably is an issue of the machine you're logging in from. So does
> it keep other passwords?
> Look into the settings of the browser you use there.
>

> Safari on iOS can store your password, the option is turned off by
default.

http://www.cultofmac.com/262357/allow-mobile-safari-store-passwords-sites-ios-tips/

Thanks for the responses.  Yes, iOS does store passwords for other www
sites, and I enabled the store password override.  But, it didn't change
the behavior.

I think the settings above apply to HTML forms with password elements.  iOS
does a good job of remembering and filling those.   But, the MythWeb
authentication is a web server level authentication (i.e. before the http
request is performed, the web server forces authentication).   Desktop
browsers handle it fine and either automatically supply the password or
auto-fill it.    But, iOS Safari does not.

I've experienced this behavior on two different iPhones and three iPads.
 So, I didn't think it was anything specific to my particular devices.
 I'm surprised no one else has been seeing this.

I think a better way is to authenticate and then set a cookie which can be
used to validate any future connection transparently.   But, I'm not sure
how hard that would be to overlay on top of mythweb..