[mythtv-users] Seeking frontend advice

Karl Dietz dekarl at spaetfruehstuecken.org
Mon Jun 30 04:05:14 UTC 2014

On 29.06.2014 14:31, Hika van den Hoven wrote:
> Sunday, June 29, 2014, 10:56:59 AM, you wrote:

>>> Interesting, I'm really intrigued about this idea.  I'm worried about
>>> the lack of S-Video output, not clear that I can use a Composite ->
>>> S-Video adapter, although I could use a Composite ->  SCART adapter.
>
> If the TV has scart use vga to scart it's color quality is very much
> higher. I have a 10 year old crt tv and have soldered the circuit
> including serial ir. If you want I can give you the circuit.
> One thing though is that with scart your card and driver must be able
> to produce an interleaved vga signal. Intel can't, most modern nvidia
> can but not the nouveau driver. ati I don't know.

Lets see. There's composite, S-Video Y/C and R/G/B component signals.
And there's DB9, S-Video, SCART, RCA, BNC, etc connectors.

The Raspberry comes with composite output on a RCA connector. You can
connect that plus audio to a TV via a SCART adapter.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SCART#Usage

You can also drive a TV RGB signal from the VGA connector's RGB pins.
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/RGB_Scart
But you can do the same with 3/4/5 RCA connectors...

If a S-Video signal is your best output, then you can put that on a
SCART connector, too.

Regards,
Karl

PS: for Raspberry to SCART you should use the composite signal, or you
lose the Raspberry's main benefit of being cheap.

There are active converter from HDMI to component, but I could only find
ones without scaler priced from 35 Euros upwards. Without scaler / a
configuration interface they may or may not work for your use case.